Saturday, November 14, 2009


There are a few funny things that have happened to me since I last posted that I thought I would share.
1. My sister went to a party the other night and when she came home I swear I thought she said they had dog for dinner. Dog is a pretty common dish here- even though I have not been lucky enough to eat it yet. This is not as bad as one of my friends who, when he was at training, came home to a lot of people at his house because the family dog had been hit by a car. The celebration included dog curry per the beloved family dog. Actually, not many dogs here are “beloved.” I personally cannot stand any dogs here. They are all bones and half starved, they bark all the time, they carry disease, and they have fleas. I would also not pet one for $100. Ok..since writing this two days ago I actually pet a puppy. Now, it was a puppy and healthy adn loved and I immediately washed my hands and arms where the dog touched. Despite this, 99% of dogs here I would not touch!

2. Since I am on the subject of eating dogs, another funny conversation was when a neighbor girl and I were talking about how we both do not like to eat dog. She said it is chewy and does not taste good. I’m hoping word gets around that the "barrang" or foreigner/French does not like to eat dog.
3. My friend Dillion, who lives in the town closest to me, came to bring me my mail last week. I thought it a good idea to introduce him to the neighbors because they really like that (even though Dillion has way better Khmer than I do and I figured that would be a source of many a conversations revolving around: “why does Dillion have such good Khmer and you don’t?” To whichI responded, “Dillion is smart.”) Anyway, so I took Dillion next door and what do we see? Tons of SNAKES. Yep, my neighbor gets them in Vietnam (not sure how) and then sells them. He also sells frogs. They are stored in huge burlap bags or buckets. Dillion and I did not stay long. Oh, yes, people here eat these, too. I will add that frog legs are very delicious. Also, Dillion added to my vanity about being "hard-core" because he confirmed that my road is totally Peace Corps. He thought it would take him a 1/2 an hour, but it took him over an hours (it takes me that long, too).
4. On a walk the other night I stopped to chat with an old yay (they are pretty inescapable). Anyway, I answered a couple of her questions, but then she asked me something I had no idea what she was saying. So, I said, “Sorry, I don’t understand.” To which she proceeded to act like she was nursing from me! I kid you not! Maybe she was saying, “Do you miss your mother?”


People here are also incredibly nice. The other day while on a bike ride a man asked me to join him for my favorite noodle dish. I had already eaten, but I think I will go to the restaurant next weekend. Also, my neighbor lady brings me fruit which is so kind because I know they don’t have a lot. One of the fruit sellers at the market gives me her best apples. My co-teachers are constantly buying me food or sweets. Thier generosity can be overwhelming knowing that they have so little. Even in the markets we always say that we are volunteers, thus, people should not rip us off just because we are white or foreign. However, the reality is that even as volunteers we make more than them.

4 comments:

  1. what? aw man, that's all it is! i was expecting something gruesome. you can already hardly see a mark.

    looks like your beauty survived fine, K-Ro.

    still, that was a pretty cool biking injury, as good as any i ever got (after bonus points for yours being to the face) mountain biking. and a WAY better story. though it looks like after a couple months you might not have any marks left on you to show along with the story.

    (btw i had some stitches above my left eye from a sports injury in high school, and i can't even find the spot any more.)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Kro- a few things. Point A: Don't pretend you enjoy petting dogs in the US of A. We all know the truth. Point B: the Yay story is like your almost worst nightmare...I love it. Oh man. The amazing thing is that I think something like that could totally happen in Southern Louisiana...Point C: What books do you want, I'm packing you up a little something as we speak:)

    ReplyDelete
  3. yeah, it wasn't too bad...there was just tons of blood (which made me slightly freak out) and I was in the middle of nowhere! YOu're right Trev, I don't think it will scar. However, it is a good story....you would love this road. IT's intense..
    Effie, send me anything you think I will like...you know me...biographies,devo types,history, fiction, classics....I read anything...oh, just started My Antonia...love it! Classic American novelists are kind of fun to read here....ANYTHING...I cannot think of anything in particular. Oh, don't buy new if you don't have to. IF you have somethign you can do w/out until this summer...send that. I'll bring it home w/ me this summer when I visit. THANK YOU!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh Kristen you do have quite the battle scar, I still don't know how the tree and you had an accident. Your sister and I were trying to figure that out while she was dying my hair. I am so glad to see you sweet heart and how you feel so blessed because the how generous the people are to you. I look forward to reading your blog.
    Are you still running? I think of you lots and pray for you too! Have a great day.

    ReplyDelete