Friday, September 25, 2009




So, it’s official, I’m a Peace Corps Volunteer. Last night in Phnom Penh we officially said the oath that the military takes swearing us to defend our country. It was actually a very official ceremony. The ministry of education and the US ambassador spoke, and the Cambodian Secretary of State was in attendance. A lot of old peace corps people came as well. I chatted a bit with a guy from USAID who works in Cambodia who was a volunteer in the 1970s. He told me I shouldn't have a problem getting a job after I'm done with my service. That was good to hear!
On Thursday of this week I took a language test and passed. This was such a relief. Basically, my Khmer is good enough to get me around. I’m sure it’s going to improve once I actually get to my site because very few people speak English- and my family pretty much speaks none. Nonetheless, it was such a good feeling to not have the pressure of a language test looming over my head!
Today I’m in Phnom Penh for one more night. I’m probably going to get some essential Western food to carry me through the first three months. I’ve probably not mentioned this before, but I’m not allowed to leave my Provence for the first three months of service. This for most people is not quite so bad because their Provincial towns have western food. However, mine does not. It has been rumored that there is a grocery store on the Vietnamese/Cambodia border. The only downfall is that it is a no mans land where you leave your passport at the border. I think some of us are going to go before Thanksgiving in order to cook Western food.
Well...that's it for now. I'm not sure when I'll be able to post again!

6 comments:

  1. 3 months!! I hope it's not that long before I hear from you again! Take care. I pray for you every day! Sharon

    ReplyDelete
  2. Congratulations! You are awesome...learning the basic language so fast! Hang in there. We are praying for you; Bill put your "flag" (Cambodia) up at church to remind us all to pray for you. You'll do fine walking with Him. Love you! Sue

    ReplyDelete
  3. hey kristin! it's sara (chase) wood.... that's SO great that you're doing this.. what an experience! i want to keep up w/ you on here, so i hope you're able to post often:) take care. much love, sara

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hello Kristen! We were very happy to get your postcard today. It's good to hear that you are seeing so many places and that you passed your language exam. We looked up on a satellite map where you will be staying. From the sky it looks like Iowa... farm fields, farm fields and more farm fields near a river. I know the food will be a challenge, but I read that if you try something 9 times, that you will get used to it. Good luck with that, Just think about Anthony Bourdain and how there is much more to find pleasur in about a meal besides the food. Hang in there. We are so proud of you and we love you, Aunt Martha and Uncle Tommy

    ReplyDelete
  5. I hope you had a happy birthday!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Aunt Martha, it is just like Iowa, but rice! I tell my students that! They think it crazy we don't eat as much rice as them..or that I am truely full when I only eat one bowl. I will keep that bit of info about trying something 9 times. I'm actually doing pretty good. I've even ventured into the sauces here which for me is a HUGE step! I've also enjoyed being with my family even though I can't understand much! Hope you are all well...I hear it's getting cold! Miss and love you both!

    ReplyDelete