Thursday, August 27, 2009

The next two years I will be.....

Greetings from Phnom Penh! So, I am totally staying in a hotel in Phnom Penh with AC and hot water! I hardly know what to think. It's funny how something so normal in my former life is such a luxury! Anyway, Phnom Penh is awesome. Last night I ate at an amazing Indian restaurant and tonight at a Thai restaurant...and I actually felt full. It's been nice escaping the village life for the big, crazy city!

Two days ago I found out where I'll be living the next two years. The town I'm afraid I cannot really disclose on this medium, but if you email me I can totally tell you where it is located. My village is on the border of Vietnam. Literally, the border is right behind the school I'm going to teach at. I've been told I can stick my hand across the border and technically be in Vietnam, not the most comforting news being that I'll be in the middle of what I consider nowhere! At first I was EXTREMELY disappointed. It's nothing like I requested (the complete opposite really) and the last place I wanted to go on so many levels. However, with a little sleep and thinking about the site, I'm somehow kind of excited about it. It's small and in the middle of now where and in a VERY poor Provence. Other teachers I met today in the distract have said its really hard to get to. Apparently, it's about a 2 hour bike ride to the provincial town (or I can catch a ride with a guy that drives a big blue tractor to the provincial town daily..seriously). I'm also replacing an AMAZING PC volunteer. Apparently, the entire town cried when she left. Moreover, the PC staff had a community meeting explaining that the new volunteer (me) is not going to be like her. I unfortunately knew all this when I found out my site which initially disappointed me because I know how I'll constantly be compared to her and expected to act just like her. This is a reality in Cambodia, there is not much diversity and they expect people to act like other people because they value conformity. Moreover, its a society that says what they see. They think you're fat, they will tell you to their face, or they think you have acne on your face or you're of Asian decent (even though your definitely American) they will tell you because its what they see. Despite this and upon further reflection, I think it's going to be fine. IT seems to me like while its in the middle of nowhere and a very poor Provence, there is tons of work I can do to help. Luckily, part of my position is as a health volunteer so I'll get to work in a clinic at least a full day a week. Also, because there are no foreigners doing work in the area, I could potentially get to do some really neat stuff; which, I'm very excited about. The doctor at the health center said there is lots to do regarding pregnant mothers, TB and dengue. These are all things I'm very interested in. Also, in about 2 weeks I get to take an 8 day tour around Cambodia looking at different programs ranging from malnutrition to aids to orphanages to water borne disease! It's going to be most helpful when I get to my site. On top of all this I have some of the best people in my site...people who are soon to be like family to me. Also, I hear there is somewhat of a church at my site; which, if true I know I'll make it the two years.
In two days I get to visit my site and stay with my host family. I'll be certain to post about how it goes. Other than this...there is not too much going on! It's been pretty busy for me and will be until I swear into PC at the end of September.
I just thought I would inform all of where I'll be in the next few years. If anyone is interested in meeting up in Ho Chi Mann city...let me know...I plan on going sometime in Feb....hope all is well....

7 comments:

  1. Kristin, I have enjoyed all your posts and especially the funny stories. It all sounds like such an adventure! We're praying for you, and Dale is still wearing his yellow ribbon. Love and blessings, Donnie

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh Kristen-
    I'm praying for you, and it's so cool to how you are doing, and how all your needs are being met. I love hearing all about your life there. You do a geat job painting a picture of life in Cambodia.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sorry for all my mispellings Kristen.... lol

    ReplyDelete
  4. YEAH!!!!! I finally figured out how to post a comment...........so I updated grandma on all your postings.......she said to tell you she's thinking about you everyday!!!!! It's so glad to hear all your stories - doens't make it so hard to know your so far away - be safe - write soon - love you!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Okay so I haven't figured out how to change my name............wow!!!! This really shouldn't be that hard - lol - anyways I'm sure you have already figured out that tillycager are my DOGS!!! ~ Nikki :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Kristin, we are very excited for you! It sounds like the Lord is going to be stretching you in many ways over the next couple of years. We enjoy your posts and are praying for you and the others you are working with. I'm sure it will be hard at first, but don't worry, when the people get to know you and see your heart they will love you as much as the girl who left. Have I mentioned we are proud of you??

    ReplyDelete
  7. You're right. Asians are very tacky. LOL. I know. I am one of them. I once told a friend that she's really not that thin and she could lose some weight. I didn't use the 'fat' word though, but she thought that was rude of me and got upset. I didn't really know why she got upset. Then I found out that in America, you don't say something like that. :)

    You'll do fine. As a matter of fact, you'll do more than fine. :) They will love you and they will change their mind about the previous one. They will think you are WAY better than her. LOL. It's just a matter of time...

    Take care!

    ReplyDelete